- Double dissolution of Parliament: ALP wins the election but fails to gain a majority in the Senate.
- Sir John Kerr is appointed Governor-General.
- Federal Government agrees to land rights for Northern Territory Aborigines. The Woodward Report recommendations are accepted in principle by all political parties.
- "Advance Australia Fair" replaces "God Save the Queen" as the Australian national anthem.
- December 25, Darwin: 65 lives are lost in Cyclone Tracy which destroys 90% of homes in Darwin leaving 25,000 people without shelter.
† Northern Territory Library - Cyclone Tracey