- McMahon Government, March 22.
- Government announces Australian troop withdrawals from South Vietnam.
- Neville Bonner is the first Aboriginal member of Parliament.
- The first Australian census to fully include all Aborigines is conducted.
- "The 1971 census showed that the percentage of the population born in Australia fell from 90.8% in 1947 to 80.5%, while the percentage of European-born rose 8.6% to 17.2%. Although increasing, Asian-born people comprised only 1.3% of the population."
The Macquarie Book of Events, 1983 p 71.
† Australia's Prime Ministers