Posted in 1900
- May-June: The Commonwealth Constitution Bill passes through the British Parliament. Several amendments are made, the most contentious being the section on appeals to the Privy Council.
- June: At the last minute Western Australia joins the Federation after a successful referendum is held largely in response to pressure from gold fields settlers.
- July 9: Queen Victoria gives assent to an Act to Constitute the Commonwealth of Australia, the Royal Commission of Assent.
- Naval contingents from the colonies of Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia take part in the suppression of the Boxer Rebellion in China.
- The populations of Melbourne and Sydney reach half a million.